We love reading about adoption. Over the past few months we’ve bookmarked some great articles. Some are really helpful resources and thoughts for adoptive families; others are for the family and friends who are supporting us. So, if you get a few minutes, these are well worth clicking on and reading.
For those who are adopting:
- Lajoy Family: Angela’s Adoption Advice. Honest advice from a young lady who was adopted internationally.
- Julie Gumm: Ethnic Hair: What I Wish I Knew 4 Years Ago. We are definitely bookmarking this one to come back to later. Julie’s blog is a great resource for adoptive families.
- The Chaos and the Clutter: Answering the Rude Questions. The rude questions will probably get to me more than they will with Carrie. She’s much more diplomatic.
- MLJ Adoptions: How Do I Raise a Child Who Doesn’t Look Like Me? A Dad’s Perspective. I’m so glad there’s some stuff like this out there. Dads need to share their perspectives more.
- Little Things + Big Stuff: Adoption: How Not to Wait Well. We just found this blog from a couple adopting in Indianapolis. They’re local, so we definitely need to hang out with them at some point! Anyway, this post is spot on and hilarious.
- New York Times: Purple Boots, Silver Stars…and White Parents. Great insight about transracial adoptive families. “Raising kids of color by white parents is not just a matter of love; it requires a racial consciousness that is common in families of color, but rarely developed in white families. And it needs an understanding that one’s family is not only challenged by the centrifugal force of the adoptive identity of the children, but also by the tensions of their broken cultural and racial identity.”
We also have some helpful posts on our best practices as it relates to waiting and fundraising. Click one of the links on the right of our page to read more.
For family and friends of those adopting:
- Wonderment, Etc.: Dear Friends of Waiting Adoptive Moms: Some Things to Know (Also, We’re Sorry). My only beef with articles like this is that they paint with the broad stroke of “adoptive moms care way more about this than dads do”. This advice applies to friends of waiting adoptive moms and dads both.
- Babble: Timeline of an International Adoption. This is a pretty broad article, but it’s a good place to start for people to begin to understand the process.
- Rage Against the Minivan: @#$% People Say to Transracial Families. All around, we love Kristen Howerton’s blog. This video is priceless. Make sure to not ask or say ignorant things like these.
- Jen Hatmaker: Examining Adoption Ethics, Part 1. Part 2. Part 3. Jen Hatmaker, who is an all-around sassy Texan and brilliant writer, goes deep in exploring adoption ethics. This three part blog series is phenomenal. It will take some time to sit down and read each part, but it’s really good stuff.
Happy reading. I’m sure there are some we left out. What have you seen/read that has been helpful?